A key factor in achieving optimum wellness and health is a properly functioning gastrointestinal or digestive system. Poor digestion and absorption interfere with a myriad of bodily functions and cause problems such as nutrient deficiencies, inflammation, pain, skin issues and hormone imbalances which may or may not be expressed by outward symptoms for years until significant illness and disease present.
If the digestive system is working properly, we have maximum absorption of nutrients, resulting in energy and vitality. Any program or attempt to maintain or recover optimum health can be completely undermined by a poorly functioning GI tract. That is the reason Optimal Wellness Center’s detoxification formula is an essential part of the nutritional program designed by Dr. Kevin P. Greene to support your intestinal health.
What Is Detoxification
A bodily process in which toxins (unhealthy substances or molecules), are converted into less harmful or harmless substances and excreted. The liver is our body’s main detoxification and filtering organ, while the colon, kidneys, gall bladder, lungs, skin, blood, and lymphatic system serve (in part) to escort waste products and unhealthy substances out of the body. The general principle is that the liver, among its hundreds of functions, tries to convert harmful substances in the blood to less harmful or innocuous substances before sending them on their way to be eliminated.
A process in which the body attempts to achieve a new homeostasis after some supposedly positive change is made in diet or other behavior. For example, quitting coffee requires a chemical rebalance in the body after caffeine—which was playing an addictive molecular role with cell receptors—is withdrawn. There are no “toxins” released to speak of, but one can sure feel lousy while the body’s chemistry adjusts itself to live in the absence of the chemical stimulant. Alcohol, drug, or sugar withdrawals are other examples that can have even more potent side effects and dangers as homeostasis is set into motion.
3. An approach that intends, at least in the short term, to relieve stress on the liver and excretory organs so that they can better function at their jobs. This approach tends to remove barriers to the body’s ability to heal itself. There are many theories related to “cleansing diets” and “cleansing agents” that a wellness practitioner must sort through before finding his or her best approach if needed . There’s a lot of myth and bad information out there. And , again, this has to do with relieving stress on organs and not directly with removing toxins such as is done with harsh cleansers.
Benefits of Detoxification
A properly executed detoxification protocol includes cleansing the body and blood stream of harmful substances where possible, thus . . .
- Restoring more normal detoxification processes and functions
- Eliminating free radical damage that speeds up the aging processes
- Strengthening the immune system
- Improving overall health and organ function
- Eliminating old, unhealthy, detrimental habits, and substituting new, restorative, health-building habits so you can reclaim your health, your youth, your life!